How Does Interior Design Affect Our Health?
When it comes to choosing the interior design of your home, one thing that you might not consider is the fact that the design of your house or flat can actually have a direct impact on your health. However, studies have shown that there is actually a direct link between happiness and the design of the inside of your home. As well as affecting your mental health, the interior design of your home can also have physical implications, too.
How Interior Design Can Affect your Mental Health
If the inside of your home isn’t right, then it can directly affect your mental health in a negative manner. Here are a couple of things that you can do in order to make sure that the architecture and art inside your home affects your mental health in a positive manner.
- Avoid Dark Colours – When it comes to choosing the colours for the inside of your home, it is a good idea to avoid colours that are too dark. If you want the interior design of your home to reflect positivity, then you should use a mix of neutral and bright colours.
- Keep It Minimal – Clutter around the home can really affect your mental health, especially if you are already of a nervous disposition. If you want to create a calm space, then keeping things minimal is very important. Minimal furniture and minimal clutter will have a really positive effect on your mood.
- Use Natural Light – In order to get the most out of the space in your home, it is important that you take advantage of natural light. Natural light can directly impact your mood, so if you are struggling to remain positive then it is a good idea to let as much natural light into your home as possible.
How the Interior of your Home Can Have an Impact on your Physical Health
Just as the design of the inside of your home can have an effect on your mental well-being, it can also have an impact on your physical health as well. Here are a couple of the ways in which you may be suffering as a result of the design of your house:
• VOCs – Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, can be found in so many different aspects of the home, from the paint on the walls to the material in your upholstery. These compounds can have a negative effect on those who are suffering with respiratory illnesses and potentially even cause respiratory problems in otherwise healthy people. This is why choosing the products that you use carefully is so important.
- No Emergency Exits – There is another potential danger that many households have that we wouldn’t even think about and that is a lack of emergency exits. When it comes to designing your home, you need to think of every possible occurrence. If there were to be a fire, then you would want to make sure that everybody is able to get out safely. By ensuring that there are adequate emergency exits in your design, you are able to do this.
As you can see, the design of your home really can have an impact on both your mental well-being as well as your physical health. However, a little careful designing can rectify these problems easily. Do not hesitate to hire a professional interior designer like Luxoria to help you with your home !